A skilled occupation list is a combined list of occupations that are currently acceptable for immigration to Australia.
What is a skilled occupation list?
The skilled occupation list includes occupations that are in demand in Australia and there are visas are available for people with relevant skills and experience to migrate to Australia.
The following are current Australian visas that require the visa applicant to be qualified to work or train in an eligible occupation listed on a skilled occupation list:
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)
- Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) – Points-tested stream
- Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
- Training visa (subclass 407)
- Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)
- Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work
- Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)
- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 494)
What are the different types of skilled occupation lists?
There are several different skilled occupation lists depending on the Australian visa you would like to apply for:
Australian states and territories also have their own specific skilled occupation list which is a more targeted list of occupations based on the skills shortages of that state or territory. The state and territory occupation lists are used for the subclass 190 and subclass 491 visas.
We recommend that you first identify which occupation you have the skills and experience in and then consider which visas you may be eligible for. Our migration lawyers are experts at assisting you to identify if may be eligible for an Australian skilled visa.
What is the Tasmania Skilled Occupation list?
The Tasmanian Skilled Occupations List (TSOL) identifies occupations that are in demand in Tasmania. It is a more targeted version of the Australian government’s skilled occupation list, based on skills shortages in Tasmania. The TSOL is used for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 491) and the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190).