The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is a great option for international students that want to gain work experience in the Australian market.
It allows you to work full-time in Australia and you can stay up to 4 years depending on the studies you undertook and the stream that applied to your circumstances, which may then provide recent graduates with the opportunity to build their experience towards applying for a skilled visa in Australia.
What is the 485 Temporary Graduate Visa?
The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is a temporary visa that allows international students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia to stay and work in Australia after you have finished your studies. There are two different streams:
- Graduate Work stream: this subclass 485 visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations in Australia.
- Post-study Work stream: this subclass 485 visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution.
What are the requirements for the 485 visa?
- Be under 50 years of age
- Must demonstrate their English language ability
- Meet the 2 year study requirement
- Have completed qualifications within 6 months of applying for the visa
What is the processing time for a 485 visa?
The subclass 485 visa processing time is 3 to 4 months. Please note the processing times may vary depending on whether your application is complete at the time of lodgment and internal Department processing priorities. Information on current processing times can be found here.