Start typing and press enter to search
Level 1, 545 King Street, West Melbourne VIC 3003
+61 3 9088 6264
Start typing and press enter to search


Temporary and permanent child visa options for if your child is not included on a parent’s visa. 

What child visas are available?

Children can often be included in their parent’s visa applications. However, when this has not happened, a separate visa application can be made. Child visas can facilitate the child’s travel to and stay in Australia.

There are 3 possible options for child visas:

  • Child visa (offshore) (subclass 101): a permanent resident visa which allows a child of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand resident to apply from outside of Australia, to travel to and live permanently in Australia
  • Child visa (onshore) (subclass 802): a permanent resident visa which allows a child of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand resident to apply from inside of Australia, to live permanently in Australia
  • Dependent Child visa (subclass 445): a temporary visa for children of subclass 820 or subclass 309 temporary partner visas to live in Australia while their parent’s permanent resident partner visa application is decided

What are the requirements for an Australian child visa?

To be eligible for a child visa, the child must:

  • Be a dependent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. In the case of the Dependent Child visa, they must be dependent on the parent with a temporary partner visa (subclasses 820 or 309)
  • Be sponsored by their parent (this is a separate application that must be approved)
  • Be under 18 years of age. Alternatively, the child must be under 25 and studying full time, or over 18 and with a disability. For the Dependent Child visa, the child can be over 18 and eligible if they are financially dependent on the sponsoring parent
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • If under 18 years of age, have the consent of any other parents or guardians to migrate to Australia, and satisfy that the laws of their home country permitting them to leave

Child visas will not be granted for those under the age of 18 if it is against the best interest of the child.

To find out more about the child visa options available to you, book a free 10 minute consultation online now and speak with one of our expert lawyers. 

An experienced migration lawyer can make all the difference when you need.

Related Resources

Concessions for Family Stream visa applicants affected by COVID-19

The Australian government has announced plans to grant certain family visa applications despite applicants being unable to travel offshore as normally required.

Australian visas and domestic violence

The current global pandemic has been a difficult time for many. Sadly, in Australia, there has been a rise in domestic violence, with many victims/survivors quite literally trapped with their abusers due to the rules around isolation and lockdown.