Rabiah completed her Bachelor of Commerce (Major in Accounting) from the University of Canterbury in 2007. She relocated to Australia from New Zealand in 2014 to pursue a career in law, and completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) at La Trobe University in 2016. She has worked as a Paralegal for the firm since her time studying at La Trobe. Upon gaining admission to the legal profession in October 2017, she now works at the firm as an Associate and Registered Migration Agent.
Prior to her career as a lawyer, Rabiah worked as an Immigration Officer with the Ministry of Business, Employment and Innovation for over 6 years in New Zealand, where she was born and raised. She brings with her an exposure to the visa process across borders. Being of Pakistani descent, she is fluent in Urdu/Hindi and she has a deep understanding of current and ongoing migration issues, and is passionate about social justice, human rights and refugee and asylum seeker issues that exist in contemporary Australia today.
Rabiah is the Secretary and Program Manager of the Diverse Women’s Mentoring Association (‘MPA’) and previously was on the Board of the Muslim Professional Association (‘MPA’). She has also been a member of Victorian Women Lawyers and is a committee member of the Cultural Diversity Committee, and has mentored law students as part of the both the MPA and VWL Mentoring program.
QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Bachelor of Commerce, Major in Accounting, University of Canterbury
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours, La Trobe University
- Thesis Topic: Restrictions on Access to Justice for Asylum Seekers in Australia
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law, College of Law
- Supreme Court of New South Wales, Admitted as a Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Admitted Solicitor and Barrister, High Court of New Zealand
- Australian practising certificate
- Secretary and Program Manager, Diverse Women’s Mentoring Association