On 25 September 2017 the New South Wales Government updated its visa subclass 190 Priority Skilled Occupation List.
The NSW government states:
“In the 2017-18 financial year we will continue to select and invite top ranking candidates in occupations on the NSW 190 Priority Skilled Occupation List (NSW 190 List). … The occupations on these lists are selected to meet the skill needs of the NSW economy. Our lists will be amended from time to time according to the skills needs in NSW. We also limit the number of invitations to certain occupations to ensure that places allocated under the 190 program are in line with the skills needs of NSW”
Which occupations are on the new list?
Some occupations have been removed and others added to the list. Here is a link to the updated list:
What is a subclass 190 visa?
A subclass 190 visa is a permanent residency visa for skilled workers who have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government.
The visa is a points-based visa and when you are sponsored by a state government you are awarded an additional 5 points. Those applying for this visa agree to live and work in the nominated state for at least two years.
Each Australian state or territory government has its own priority skilled occupation list which is updated from time to time. Most recently, the NSW government has updated its list.
What are the key criteria?
There are several key criteria. You must:
- Be under the age of 45 when you are invited to apply for the visa
- Have a relevant occupation which is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and on the relevant state or territory list.
- Complete a relevant skills assessment for your nominated occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 60 points (note preference is given to those with the highest number of points)
- Be nominated by a state or territory government (note each state and territory has a different nominating procedure)
- Have competent English
- Be invited to apply for the visa
Am I eligible?
To learn more about this visa and your eligibility, book here for a 15 minutes free phone consultation or call our office on +61 03 9088 6264.