NEW POSITION AVAILABLE
Locum Migration Solicitor
Full-time, short-term position – 1 June 2016 to 2 September 2016 – Located in Melbourne CBD
The Migration Solicitor will provide legal advice and assistance to clients in the area of migration, with a specific focus on people seeking asylum who have arrived by boat (“fast track clients”) and people seeking assistance with family migration. The Locum Migration Solicitor will manage an existing file load and also work with new clients. The Locum Migration Solicitor will also provide advice in relation to 457, 186 and other visas from time to time.
- Provide timely and accurate migration advice to clients and meet deadlines as needed
- Assess the eligibility of clients for temporary or permanent residency
- Deal in an effective, respectful and ethical manner at all times with clients
- Prepare, review and lodge visa applications, appeals and requests to the Minister
- Prepare legal submissions and undertake research
- Liaise with the Department of Immigration, Administrative Appeals Tribunal, and other bodies as needed
- Enter and maintain client information in the database
- Ensure all professional and other obligations such as continuing professional development are maintained
- Other duties from time to time
Qualifications and experience
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Legal practicing certificate
- Registered as a migration agent
- Experience in a similar role (1 to 2 years)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Experience working with vulnerable people
- Second language including Arabic, Farsi, Vietnamese, Tamil, Hazaragi, Urdu
The locum period is full-time from 1 June 2016 to 2 September 2016.
Please email your CV with covering letter through to [email protected] by COB Thursday 12 May 2016.